With meter 188.8.131.52, tunes it has been set to include:
- VINCENT also known as TODAY - by Horatio R Palmer (1834-1907)
- BELLEVILLE- by James Edmnud Jones (1866-)
- JUST FOR TODAY - by George C Stebbins
- JENKINS - by Carl F Crusuis, 1921
- BROUGHTON - by Herbert Sanders (1879-)
- LORD FOR TOMORROW / PROVIDENCE by Richard Runciman Terry (1865-138): many of the more recent publications use this this tune.
The original lyrics have been modified many times by editors, sometimes to deal with changes in language use. Some published versions end each verse with "Just for today", while others have variations on this phrase. The verse about "purgatory's cleansing fire" is rarely published today.
Files for Download:
Lyrics:Lord, for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray;
Keep me, my God, from every sin (1)
Just for today.
Help me both diligently work(2)
And duly pray;
Let me be kind in word and deed,
Let me be slow to do my will,
Prompt to obey;
Help me to sacrifice myself
Let me no wrong or idle word
Set thou a seal upon my lips
Through all today.
Let me in season, Lord, be grave,
In season play:(3)
Let me be faithful to thy grace,
Dear Lord, today.
And if today this life of mine
Should ebb away,
Give me thy Sacrament divine,
(4) In Purgatory's cleansing fire
Brief be my stay;
O bid me, if today I die,
Go home today.
So for tomorrow and its needs
I do not pray:
Still keep me, guide me, love me, Lord,
Through each today.
(1) Originally "stain of sin"
(2) Originally "Help me to labour earnestly"
(3) Originally "In season gay:"
(4) This verse is usually omitted
ABC Notation:Ref: What is ABC
T:Just for Today
A:Sr Mary Xavier (1856-1917)
C:Richard Runciman Terry (1865-138)
"C" c B/2A/2 "Am" A G | "Dm" F D "F" C2 | C2 F G | "G"G4 |
"Bb" B B/2B/2 "Am" A G | "Dm" F G "Am" A2 | "F" F2 "Dm"F E | "F"F4 |]